Links to Other Articles
Print Pelican Printing Tech Tips:
Instant PDF from PrintMaster
PrintMaster Platinum 16 by Broderbund is a software package that has been on the market for many years and is intended for the creation of cards, calendars, labels and similar projects for printing on home laser or inkjet printers. It is not a printing program normally recommended for users who wish to create high-quality documents for printing on lithographic or digital presses.
However, perhaps as an afterthought, Broderbund has added a user-friendly Professional Printing option that converts Printmaster files to PDF that meet some basic requirements for high-quality printing. Imported photographs are saved in the PDF file at full resolution and converted to CMYK. In addition, the photographs that come bundled with PrintMaster, if they are used at the size they first appear on your screen, print at a decent quality. You can even enlarge them a little bit, say up to 10% or 15%, without noticeable sacrifice to quality. Here is a step-by-step description of how to use the Professional Printing option to convert PrintMaster files to PDF:
1. In Tools/Options/General Options, check the box beside "Optimal Printing Resolution".
2. Go to File/Printer Setup/Printer Setup.
3. Under "Name" select Broderbund PDF Converter v2.10d
4. Next, go to File/Professional Printing.
5. Select "Save As PDF".
6. At the next screen, type the name of the PDF file you want to save in "Project Name".
7. Under "PDF Resolution", select 600 dpi.
8. Click on "Save As". In the next window, browse to the folder in which you want to save the file (for example: My Documents).
9. Click on the "Save" button.
10. PrintMaster will save the PDF file to the folder you selected.
11. Open the file in Adobe Acrobat to make sure all the elements and pages are there and that it looks as expected.
12. Once you are satisfied, upload this file to Print Pelican.
There are two caveats: 1. Because it is made to print cards and calendars to your laser or ink-jet printer, PrintMaster expects page sizes to be standard ones such as 11" x 17" or 8.5” x 11”. Custom page sizes (such as 7" x 10") may not work properly. 2. Do not use backgrounds or elements that print to the edge of the page. This is a feature that will not print properly from PrintMaster. Make sure your pages have white margins with nothing printing on them.
Questions? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.